Hello Pattaya News Readers and Supporters!
The following is our weekly feature in which we highlight the top local stories in our area, Pattaya and Chonburi, for the past week. The number of stories differs from week to week.
These are chosen and curated by our editorial team and are designed for our readers to get a quick “catch-up” of important stories they may have missed as we publish many stories daily and it is easy to lose track of important events or changes in our area. We do national recaps in a separate article.
They are in no particular order of importance. These are from Sunday, May 2nd, 2021, to Saturday, May 8th, 2021.
Let’s get started and see what the top local stories were!
1. Chonburi officials start checkpoints around Covid-19
These were discontinued a few days later but officials are now discussing how to bring them back without documentation or requiring in-person visits that could spread Covid-19.
2. Si Racha Tiger Zoo not permanently closed
Despite rumors on social media, the owners stepped forward and stated they are not permanently closing last week. The announcement caused mixed reactions, as some westerners dislike the idea of animal shows, but many Thai’s were happy the long-lived attraction was staying.
3. Koh Larn closes for about two weeks
Once again, Koh Larn resolved to shut down to visitors and non-residents due to Covid-19. This is the third time in a year for the island that relies on tourism for nearly all of their GDP.
4. Rotary Club of Pattaya wraps up art competition at Central Festival, announces new charity concert date
Due to Covid-19, new dates were announced for their upcoming charity concert.
5. Driver claims he loses a million baht after his car bursts into flames in Pattaya
The verdict is still out on this one, but our comments seemed to believe that there was more to the story.
6. Days of storms cause damage around Chonburi and Pattaya, capsize squid fishing boats
One of the biggest stories of last week as days of overnight storms wrecked havoc in the local area.
7. Honda LPGA tour in Pattaya taking place over last few days, but sadly, no fans due to Covid-19
The popular golfing event continues over the weekend, but sadly, no fans have been allowed due to Covid-19 this year. Last year it was canceled entirely.
8. Homeless man allegedly attacked by a group of teenagers in Pattaya
One of our most discussed and read stories last week.
That is all for this week, thank you as always for your support!