Hundreds of suspects were arrested in an online crimes crackdown with almost 120,000 numbers shutdown from call center scammers last year.
The Digital Economy and Society (DES) Minister Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn revealed the statistics today (January 11th):
- 166 suspects arrested in call center scams.
- 118,530 numbers of SMS and call center numbers from scammers were shutdown.
- 58,463 bank accounts from scammers were seized.
- Eight social media groups from scammers were shutdown.
- 673 suspects were arrested in 657 cases of online investment scams.
- 461 suspects were arrested in 318 cases of illegal online gambling
- 1,830 illegal online gambling websites were shutdown.
- 270 suspects arrested in 263 cases of online shopping scams.
“There are many more of these digital crimes. Especially online gambling websites which are legally operated in other countries. These websites are easy to access. We are continuing to crackdown on these online and digital crimes.” Chaiwut stated.