Following the tragic death of 19-year-old Alexey Sobolev, a Russian basketball player who was electrocuted by a faulty lighting pole, Pattaya authorities inspected the basketball court and temporarily closed it for maintenance.
The inspection on Friday, December 16th, was led by Pattaya deputy mayor Manoch Nongyai. Authorities found that the lighting pole located near a basketball court in Chonburi’s Banglamung district had a power leakage of more than 110 voltage.
Manoch told relevant authorities to consistently inspect electrical wires in the area. He also ordered the court as well as its surrounding areas to be closed for maintenance.
The deputy is working with the Pattaya basketball club to determine an appropriate form of compensation for the victim’s family. The event has greatly ruined Pattaya’s tourism image, especially in terms of safety, commented the deputy.
Join the discussion in our Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/438849630140035/or in the comments below.