A 61-year-old Belgian tourist was pierced through his palm by a sharp metal wire attached to a guy anchor/hook.
The incident occurred in the late evening of November 29th near the traffic light box at the intersection of Grand Condo Thepprasit, Nongprue sub-district, Banglamung district, Chonburi province.
The foreigner, later identified as Mr. Philippe Leoncuan Damme, a 61-year-old Belgian national, had been pierced through his left palm by a loose metal wire that had been used to tie around a guy wire attached to a high-voltage electrical pole.
Mr. Philippe’s palm was impaled by the pointed end of the 10-cm-long wire and sustained moderate injury. Local media reported that he was rescued by Sawang Boriboon rescue teams who subsequently transported him to Pattaya Bangkok Hospital for treatment.
According to local media, the wire in question was installed on the pedestrian walkway, frequently used by tourists. The long and pointed wires were employed to fasten six guy anchors positioned in the center of the walkway. Local media reported that each end of the wires had become untethered and sharp, posing a great danger to pedestrians. Anyone approaching the wire with their hand or body might face piercing injuries, akin to what happened to Mr. Philippe.
The rescue operation to save the Belgian tourist took about five minutes, but the tourist was already in a weak state when the rescue teams found him, reported local media. As for the cause of the accident, it was speculated that Mr. Philippe may have tripped over something on the walkway and while he was about to fall, he attempted to use his hand to grab onto something for support, but accidentally got pierced by the wire.
Pattaya City authorities are reportedly looking into the matter.