Fire Damages Room at Pattaya Condo, Firefighters Say Cause Was From a Blacklight Used For Growing Cannabis

Pattaya –

A fire has damaged a room of a foreigner at a condominium in Banglamung. The fire was caused by a faulty blacklight which was being used for growing cannabis, according to firefighters.

Pattaya firefighters told the Pattaya News that they were notified of the fire on Friday (May 26th) at a room in Soi Phra Tamnuk 5, Nongprue.

Firefighters with five fire engines arrived at the scene and it only took a short time to control the fire.

Inside the room rescue teams found several cannabis plants. Pattaya firefighters told the Pattaya News team that the cause of the fire started from a blacklight which was used for growing cannabis. The room was damaged by the blaze but noone was found inside.

Staffers at the condominium told the Pattaya News that while they were working, they smelled something burning from the room and then saw a fire on the balcony. An unidentified foreigner rented the room, according to staff.

Pattaya police stated that although cannabis was decriminalized in 2022 in Thailand, one must be registered to grow cannabis and that they would be checking with the tenant to ensure he had filed proper registration documentation. If he had not, he could be held liable under current public health regulations.


Help support The Pattaya News in 2023!
Need legal advice or a lawyer? We can help. Click here.

Goongnang Suksawat
Goong Nang is a News Translator who has worked professionally for multiple news organizations in Thailand for many years and has worked with The Pattaya News for more than four years. Specializes primarily in local news for Phuket, Pattaya, and also some national news, with emphasis on translation between Thai to English and working as an intermediary between reporters and English-speaking writers. Originally from Nakhon Si Thammarat, but lives in Phuket and Krabi except when commuting between the three.