The following is a weekly feature article looking at this same time period LAST year in Pattaya and Thailand news.
This weekly feature takes a look back at news from the same period last year (and sometimes different time windows, such as six months or three months) to see how things have changed, follow up on the progression of stories, as well as look at potentially broken promises or things that didn’t take place as promised in Pattaya and Thailand.
As we publish dozens of stories a week this is a quick way for people to take a look at what the biggest stories were a year ago, as chosen by our editorial team, and how they impact us today and relate to current news. However, they are in no particular order of importance, roughly in order of publication.
This week, we cover the fourth week of December 2021, from Sunday, December 19th, 2021 to Saturday, December 25th, 2021.
1. Qualified nightlife and entertainment workers in Thailand to receive 5,000 baht in financial aid by the end of December
The Thai Ministry of Labor is preparing to distribute at least a first lot of 5,000 baht compensation for qualified Thai nightlife and entertainment venue workers registered with the Social Security Office (SSO) on December 29th.
2. Thai Public Health Ministry to propose “Test & Go” revocation, announces first local transmission of Omicron variant
The Thai Ministry of Public Health is preparing to propose the reconsideration of the “Test & Go” tourist scheme and to reimpose quarantine for all travelers, following the rapid discovery of Omicron cases among arrivals in Thailand.
3. Thai government suspends “Thailand Pass” “Test & Go” scheme to prevent Omicron infections, effective today
The Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has halted new “Thailand Pass” registration except for Alternative Quarantine and Phuket Sandbox and suspended the “Test & Go” no-quarantine tourism scheme for all international tourists, effective tonight at midnight.
4. WHO urges cancellation of global holiday events over Omicron spread, Thai government says will continue-for now
The World Health Organization has urged the cancellation of some of the holiday events around the world to protect public health as the Omicron variant spreads globally.
5. Pattaya “restaurant” raided for the sixth time after breaking temporary closure order
A “restaurant” near the Bali Hai Pier in Pattaya was raided for the sixth time last night (December 22nd) after breaking a temporary closure order from the Chonburi Governor after five previous raids in recent months.
6. Dozens of leading business leaders to request to Thai Covid Center for Pattaya to be allowed to be a Sandbox during current suspension of Test and Go
The request was denied.