The following is a weekly feature article looking at this same time period LAST year in Pattaya and Thailand news.
This weekly feature takes a look back at news from the same period last year (and sometimes different time windows, such as six months or three months) to see how things have changed, following up on the progression of stories, as well as look at potentially broken promises or things that didn’t take place as promised in Pattaya and Thailand.
As we publish dozens of stories a week this is a quick way for people to take a look at what the biggest stories were a year ago, as chosen by our editorial team, and how they impact us today and relate to current news. They are in no particular order of importance, however, are roughly in order of publication.
This week, we cover the second week of January 2021, from Sunday, January 3rd, 2021 to Saturday, January 9th, 2021.
1. Chonburi enacts more Covid-19 restrictions
Another year, more restrictions….This year, however, is not as severe with control measures as last year due to a seemingly more mild variant (Omicron) and high vaccination levels.
2. Justice Minister introduces ‘fortune-telling’ occupational lessons to create jobs for prisoners after detention
A non-Covid story that got a lot of discussion and views last year.
3. Thai Prime Minister founds gambling investigation committee to take serious legal action against illegal gambling dens nationwide
Last year’s second-round of Covid-19 infections and resulting measures and restrictions were primarily blamed on illegal gambling. This year, some (very early) talk has begun about the possibility of legal casinos, but is likely a long (long) way off, if ever.
4. Thailand’s business industry may lose 45 billion baht in a single month during the new Coronavirus domestic outbreak, according to Kasikorn Research Center
This year, the estimate is “only” 7 billion for January, due to no overall lockdown and lighter restrictions, but most of the hit is estimated to be in the already devastated tourism and hospitality sector, crushed for almost two years now due to Covid-19 measures.
5. Man arrested after stabbing a woman to death on Pattaya Beach in front of over a dozen witnesses
One of the most shocking stories from last year in Pattaya was this blatant daytime murder on Pattaya Beach.
6. Twenty-one people, including multiple foreign nationals, were arrested during an illegal Pattaya gambling den raid
The gambling crackdown continues…
That is all for this week. Stay safe and see you next week!