Samut Prakan –
A fire broke out at a Covid-19 State Quarantine accommodation in the Bang Phli District of Samut Prakan last night, October 6th. More than 80 quarantined Thai and foreigners were evacuated.
Firefighters and police officials from the Bang Kaeo Police Station arrived at the scene at around 9:00 PM. after getting reports of a large cloud of thick smoke coming out from the basement of the well-known quarantine hotel, primarily used for people returning to Thailand from overseas.
About 80 foreigners and Thais who were being quarantined on the upper floors were forced to leave the building while the staff from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation, who also wore protective PPE clothing, and firefighters started spraying water into the basement to disperse the smoke before approaching the room. It reportedly took more than 30 minutes to extinguish the fire.
Hotel manager Nuttawut Arunanonchai told police that the basement was a snooker room that has not been in use for nearly two years due to the government’s Covid-19 policy. Snooker and pool halls, TPN media notes, have been closed for half a year straight in most of the country and closed off and on previously.
An employee told Nuttawut that they saw smoke coming out of the room before he called local firefighters for inspection. According to the initial examination, a short circuit was inspected at a connected power cord, causing the wires to melt and spark nearby wires before creating a large amount of smoke. No injuries and deaths were reported during the incident, according to the reports.
Follow us on Facebook,