Hello Pattaya News Readers and Supporters!
The following is our weekly feature in which we highlight the top local stories in our area, Pattaya and Chonburi, for the past week. The number of stories differs from week to week.
These are chosen and curated by our editorial team and are designed for our readers to get a quick “catch-up” of important stories they may have missed. We publish many stories daily and it is easy to lose track of important events or changes in our area. We do national recaps in a separate article, this is only the top local stories in our area and province.
They are in no particular order of importance but roughly in order of publishing. These are from Sunday, June 27th, 2021, to Saturday, July 3rd, 2021.
Let’s get started and see what the top local stories were!
1. Ramayana water park reopens in Chonburi
The popular water park has reopened after months of Covid-19 closures with strict Covid-19 precautions after the provincial government stated the risk would be low from an outside, socially distanced venue. They are open every weekend currently.
2. Five people test positive for Covid-19 following a raid on “restaurants” allegedly selling alcohol and shisha against Covid-19 rules in Pattaya
A follow-up on one of the biggest stories from the week prior, over 100 people were tested for Covid-19 who were caught allegedly breaking Covid-19 rules by drinking, socializing, and mingling at a “restaurant” also allegedly breaking current rules and orders in place to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Five people tested positive.
3. Pattaya Beer Bar operators plead for assistance to government leaders and officials as the closure of their sector stretches onward.
After almost three months of the bar and entertainment-related closures in Chonburi and Pattaya, owners are stating they have had little to no financial assistance, the measures don’t appear to be stopping Covid-19 as cases have actually risen, and they want support or permission to seek alternative revenue streams.
4. Unidentified foreigner arrested after allegedly stealing bottles of liquor from store, leading clerks and villagers on a foot chase
Our most commented on and popular video from last week. We will let the video do the talking.
5. Intoxicated construction contractor arrested after firing weapon in public on Jomtien Beach
Another popular story from last week and a poor life decision likely to fire a weapon, even with blanks, near the Pattaya police sub-station on Dongtan Beach.
6. Chonburi releases new restrictions around alcohol and drinking in groups
It is now, technically, against the law in Chonburi to drink with more than one person overnight, even at your own home, a similar rule to Surat Thani previously. The reaction to this rule, according to Chonburi officials designed to “prevent Covid-19” was swift and angry from both Thai and English readers. The new restrictions also moved forward alcohol selling time from 11:00 P.M. cutoffs to 8:00 P.M. for all stores.
7. Pattaya food cart vendor sets himself on fire, was reportedly upset about Covid-19 restrictions hurting his business
A very sad story last week showing the “other side” of Covid-19 measures, closures, and restrictions and their effect on economic and mental health.
8. British national arrested after allegedly firing a gun several times into the air and multiple hour standoff with Pattaya Police at a luxury Pattaya home
Another heavily commented article last week. The incident is reportedly still under investigation.
That is it for this week! We appreciate your support, readership, and hope you have a safe week ahead for you and your family!