The following is a weekly feature article looking at this same time period LAST year in Pattaya and Thailand news.
This weekly feature takes a look back at news from the same period last year (and sometimes different time windows, such as six months or three months) to see how things have changed, following up on the progression of stories, as well as look at potentially broken promises or things that didn’t take place as promised in Pattaya and Thailand.
As we publish dozens of stories a week this is a quick way for people to take a look at what the biggest stories were a year ago, as chosen by our editorial team, and how they impact us today and relate to current news. They are in no particular order of importance, however, are in order of publication. This week, we cover the FIRST week of May 2020, from Sunday, May 3rd, 2020 to Saturday, May 9th, 2020. They are roughly in order of publication.
1. Pattaya business owners meet to discuss precautions and measures for re-opening
Did anyone think that one year later such a meeting may be needed again in the near future as once again entertainment venues have been closed for about a month?
2. Restaurants in Pattaya adjust to new dine-in rules and regulations
One year later, dine-in is currently closed completely. Is it time to return to these measures, that some say are over the top, or should they stay closed completely?
3. Pattaya City slightly eases rules on beaches, allows walking and exercise on beach paths
Who would have thought that a year later (yes, this is a reoccurring theme this week) once again the actual beaches, at least in Central Pattaya, are closed to usage but people can walk on the sidewalks?
4. Koh Larn remains closed to tourists and visitors
Once again, another story that is, sadly, the same in 2021.
5. Chonburi officials explain why beaches remain closed for swimming, sitting, field many complaints
Not much more needs to be said about the strong feeling of Deja Vu this year.
6. Complaints continue to pour in over restaurant rules separating family members, table seating rules, and more
Let us hope when dine-in returns that this particular set of rules does not.
7. Two Cambodian nationals walk EIGHT DAYS to get home after losing jobs due to Covid-19
This was a major story last year, showing the extent of the measures and restrictions and how it affected many people.
8. Three foreigners arrested for swimming on Pattaya area beach
This was a major story last year. Let us hope this isn’t repeated, as this particular story polarized people, with opinions all over the place.
That is all for this week. We apologize if it feels like Deja Vu, but this year is eerily similar to last year.