Hello Pattaya News Readers!
The following is our weekly feature in which we highlight the top local stories in our area, Pattaya and Chonburi, for the past week. The number of stories differs from week to week.
These are chosen and curated by our editorial team and are designed for our readers to get a quick “catch-up” of important stories they may have missed as we publish many stories daily and it is easy to lose track of important events or changes in our area. We do national recaps in a separate article.
They are in no particular order of importance. These are from Sunday, March 28th, to Saturday, April 3rd, 2021.
1. Two people seriously injured during the Pattaya surf skate event, Pattaya City government to pay for their injuries
Although the event was overall seen as a success, several skaters’ injuries put a damper on the event when they collided on a slight downhill portion near the Dolphin roundabout during a street skate session. Pattaya City agreed to pay for their injuries and promised better safety management with the partnership of organizers for future events.
2. Tragic shooting between two young boys in Pattaya
One of our most commented stories of the week when an older boy in his preteens, thinking he was playing with a toy gun, tragically shot and killed a younger boy in Pattaya.
3. Indian community of Pattaya celebrate the Holi festival
A joyous event attended by dozens of people to celebrate Holi this year in Pattaya. See more here.
4. Thai-Bangladeshi community celebrate 50th Bangladeshi National Day
Another major community event took place last week in our area.
5. Many local Pattaya business owners against a “sandbox” plan for vaccinated foreign tourists
Owners of businesses in Pattaya that mostly rely on domestic tourists are against a plan to make Pattaya a sandbox tourism zone, letting in vaccinated foreign tourists without quarantine, afraid it will cause domestic tourists to stop coming.
6. Nigerian and his Thai girlfriend arrested in Pattaya for alleged drug dealing
This story drew a LOT of interest and comments. They will serve up to five years after reportedly being cooperative with officials.
7. Intoxicated man threatens to shoot up restaurant over an alleged noise complaint
Our most commented story of the week after a man who was upset by alleged loud noise threatened to shoot up a restaurant and got arrested. The weapon later turned out to be a BB gun.
8. Police checkpoints are back in Pattaya just in time for Songkran
They are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack….and in a big way.
That is all for this week. As always, we appreciate your support, readership, and hope you have a great week ahead!