Chiang Mai woman and family tests negative for Covid-19 following alert on contact with recent Malaysian visitor


Chiang Mai-

  A Chiang Mai local who had been involved with a Malaysian man who had tested positive for Covid-19 in Malaysia was tested negative during her 13th day of self-quarantine, according to the Chiang Mai Communicable Disease Committee.

  Following the latest updates of the Covid-19 situation yesterday, August 17, a Malaysian man, 46, who had visited Bangkok for a trip on March 6 and was tested positive for the Coronavirus two weeks after returning home on August 5. It was unclear if he had contracted the coronavirus in Thailand or Malaysia, however, Thai authorities quickly contact traced and tested those he came into recent contact with. So far, all have come up negative, leading officials to believe he was infected upon his return to Malaysia.

  The investigation of Thai health officials revealed that the man, whose name was not disclosed, had spent most of his time at his condo and was often seen hanging out with his Thai girlfriend while he was visiting the capital.

  The woman, whose name was also not given, had returned home to Chiang Mai last week. She and her family were brought to Nakornping Hospital for the Covid-19 test and self-quarantine after the Chiang Mai authorities were alerted by the Disease Control Department.

  Officials from the Chiang Mai Communicable Disease Committee held a press conference today, August 18, at 5:00 PM regarding the woman’s test for the virus. They told the Associated Press that the female local was tested negative and today had marked her thirteen days of self-quarantine at the hospital.

  Charoenrit Sanguansat, Governor of Chiang Mai and Chairman of the Communicable Disease Committee, said: “Her result was negative so far but she will have the last test tomorrow which was her last day of self-quarantine. If the result is still negative, then she is good to go and so is her family, who have also tested negative.”

  Meanwhile, it was overall inconclusive where the Malaysian man caught the disease since he was tested negative during his initial arrival back in his home country and his travel record was still unclear after returning home. It was unclear as well if he quarantined upon returning to Malaysia. The man is asymptomatic, according to Malaysian authorities.


User Review
0 (0 votes)